(verb) To finance something is to provide or obtain the capital, or money, for its acquisition or operation. This can be done through lending/borrowing ("How could you afford such a nice car?" "I financed it." Or "IndyMac financed my house."); sale/purchase of equity (part ownership, e.g. "Goldman Sachs financed First Marblehead's wait for the return of the credit market by buying securities convertible to 5.3 million shares."); or outright giving ("His parents unwittingly financed his marijuana habit with their monthly checks.")
- Credit market
- Part ownership
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will A Bet on This Gambling Giant Pay Off?
- Here's What This $4.5 Billion Market-Beater Has Been Buying
- Will Higher Domestic Prices Squeeze Petrobras' Profits?
- How to Profit from Increasing Wealth Disparity and Emerging Markets
- Is Bank of America About to Announce Another Multibillion-Dollar Settlement?
- Wednesday's Top Upgrades (and Downgrades)