The funds withheld are collected by the employer and forwarded to the IRS in the case of Federal withholding, but state and local government may have their own withholding programs to collect their income taxes. The total amount withheld is reported on the annual W-2 form, which is filed with your income tax return allowing you to claim credit for the funds withheld, and in the case of overpayment, request a tax refund.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What's the Tax Bill For Finding $10 Million in Buried Treasure?
- Total SA: Long Reserve Life Offers Dividend Safety
- Newlyweds and Taxes: 3 Things You Must Know
- Where?s My Refund? Tips for Frustrated Filers -- and Investors
- Federal Savings Tools: Treasury myRAs Back Retirement Savings for the Average Worker
- Why Your Big 2014 Tax Refund Is Wasting Your Money