The funds withheld are collected by the employer and forwarded to the IRS in the case of Federal withholding, but state and local government may have their own withholding programs to collect their income taxes. The total amount withheld is reported on the annual W-2 form, which is filed with your income tax return allowing you to claim credit for the funds withheld, and in the case of overpayment, request a tax refund.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How to Check Your Federal IRS Tax Refund Status
- 68% of Taxpayers Plan to Do This With Their Tax Refunds
- 4 Common Mistakes People Make on Their Taxes
- What to Do If You Owe the IRS Money?
- Here's How Big the Average American's IRS Refund Is So Far. How Do You Compare?
- Social Security: 5 Surprising Facts About Noncitizens and Benefits