The funds withheld are collected by the employer and forwarded to the IRS in the case of Federal withholding, but state and local government may have their own withholding programs to collect their income taxes. The total amount withheld is reported on the annual W-2 form, which is filed with your income tax return allowing you to claim credit for the funds withheld, and in the case of overpayment, request a tax refund.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 6 Midyear Steps to Lower Your Taxes
- Earned Income Tax Credit: 5 Things You Must Know
- Do Nothing, Get Paid More
- Joining Big Ten Won't Bail Out Maryland and Rutgers Overnight
- Insiders Are Selling at GT Advanced Technologies: What Should Investors Do?
- Does Total SA Offer More Than Just a High Dividend Yield?