Valero Energy (NYSE: VLO) owns oil refineries that are specially equipped to process sour crude oil, which due to processing difficulty is usually sold at a discount.
The stock price tends to move with the price of oil, but Valero owns no oil reserves. It is strictly a refiner.
See the VLO Discussion Board: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26968160 and especially postings by doubtit, a major champion of the stock.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are These 3 Refiners Doomed?
- Valero Energy Continues to Lose Ground, but Will It Last?
- Why Valero Energy Corporation, Intuitive Surgical, Inc., and Allergan Inc. Are Today's 3 Worst Stock
- Why Did Refiner Stocks Plunge This Week?
- What Should You Expect From Valero Energy and Marathon Petroleum in the Second Quarter?