The CBOE Volatility Index was introduced in 1993. It "measures market expectation of near term volatility conveyed by stock index option prices," according to  this webpage from the CBOE. The VIX tracks the S&P 500.
Related Fool Articles
- The VIX Says Sell? Bull!
- Volatility Will Make You Rich
- Meet the Fear Index
- VXX FAQ - Rough Draft on TMF PRO message board
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Bull at 5: Where Do Stocks Go From Here?
- Ukraine Jitters Shake the Dow Into Triple-Digit Loss
- Russia Sends Dow Down 200+; Is Ukraine a Black-Swan Event?
- Investors Have Declared the Dow Pullback Over
- Are Volatile Days Here Again for the Dow and the Markets?
- Dow Rebounds 90 Points After Yesterday's Plunge