The CBOE Volatility Index was introduced in 1993. It "measures market expectation of near term volatility conveyed by stock index option prices," according to  this webpage from the CBOE. The VIX tracks the S&P 500.
Related Fool Articles
- The VIX Says Sell? Bull!
- Volatility Will Make You Rich
- Meet the Fear Index
- VXX FAQ - Rough Draft on TMF PRO message board
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will the CBOE VIX Predict the Next Stock Market Crash?
- Celgene Corporation Pays Up For Juno Therapeutics Inc. -- The Market Says "Show Me"
- Stocks: Focus on Greece and the Fed
- CBOE Holdings, Inc. Earnings Can't Overcome Light Trading Volumes
- Federal Reserve: The 1 Thing Investors Should Bank On
- Oil News: Saudis May Have Kickstarted Stocks' Volatility for 2015