The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is JAKKS Pacific Broken Beyond Repair?
- Hercules Offshore Seeing Slowdown in Domestic Drilling
- Which Is Fetching You Better Returns, Boeing or Airbus?
- Goldman Sachs Led the Dow Higher Today, but is it Engineering a New Crisis?
- Advanced Micro Devices Faces Significant Challenges
- 1 Huge Risk for Owning Ford Motor Company's Stock This Year