The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Xilinx Inc.'s Stock Could Fall
- Why Plug Power Inc. Has Skyrocketed 271% in 2014
- 5 Things GameStop?s Management Wants You to Know
- What Can Apple, Inc. Do to Boost Slumping iPad Sales?
- The Latest Apple iPad Roars Into Production
- Why Dow Chemical Is Spending Millions to Influence America?s Politicians