The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is The Clorox Co. Destined for Greatness?
- Is Autodesk, Inc. Destined for Greatness?
- Here's Why Bank of America's Loss Isn't As Bad As It Looks
- Stock Market Today: Pepsi Pops and GE is Feeling "Positive"
- Housing Starts Up 2.8%, Missing Expectations
- Thankfully for these 2 Companies, Coal Prices are Finally Showing Signs of Life