The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- United Parcel Service Inc. Reports Earnings: The Key Number You Need to Follow
- 5 Things Johnson & Johnson's Management Wants You to Know
- Why Citigroup Inc's Stock Is Flat in 2014
- Zimmer Holdings, Inc. Stays Ahead with a Healthy Third Quarter
- Proto Labs Inc Earnings: Did the Market Overact to a "Disappointing" Quarter?
- RetailMeNot, Inc. and Coupons.com, Inc. Fight Back