The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things Geospace Technologies' Management Wants You to Know
- Can TrueCar Keep Rolling in the Right Direction?
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Bans Most Popular Rifle From Its Stores
- 3 Takeaways From the Energy Market This Quarter
- Disney World's Biggest Rival Takes Another Shot
- 3 Battleground Biotech Stocks I Would Avoid at All Costs