A title company is a firm that specializes in researching records of a property in the recorder's office in your county courthouse. In the case of a real estate transaction, after a sales contract is signed and before the close, the title company brings the title up to date and checks to see that there are no outstanding liens or other claims against the property.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Electronic Arts Inc. Soars on Strong Holiday Sales
- Sony Corp Has Created the Netflix of Gaming
- 2 Dividend Aristocrat Stocks to Avoid, and 1 to Buy
- 3 Companies with Better Dividends Than Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
- Microsoft's Xbox One Makes a Comeback
- You'll Never Guess America's Favorite Internet Service Provider (Hint: It's Not Comcast)