A title company is a firm that specializes in researching records of a property in the recorder's office in your county courthouse. In the case of a real estate transaction, after a sales contract is signed and before the close, the title company brings the title up to date and checks to see that there are no outstanding liens or other claims against the property.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Death of Cable: Sony Wants in on the Online Streaming Game
- G2E 2014: Why Las Vegas Sands' Sheldon Adelson is Fighting Online Gaming
- HBO and Time Warner Take On Netflix, But Is It a Mistake?
- 5 Banking Fees That Are Actually Worth Paying
- Sikorsky's Newest Helicopter Is Nearly as Fast as an Airplane -- And It's Got Rockets
- How to Buy Stocks That Can Make Your Kids Rich