Teaser interest rate
Many have been attracted to mortgages they cannot afford once the ARM resets. Previously they could refinance at a lower interest rate using the equity accumulated in their property while housing prices were rising quickly. But declines in housing values have caused many to lose what little equity they had and sometimes to lose their homes in foreclosure.
Those who borrow with ARMs should be careful to fully understand the formula used to calculate the interest rate and the monthly payments required once the teaser rate expires.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Many Banks Are Making It Harder to Get a Mortgage, and That's a Good Thing
- Exotic Mortgage Loans Are Making a Comeback: Should We Be Worried?
- High Annuity Rates: Too Good to Be True?
- What Is an ARM Mortgage?
- How Should I Choose Between a Fixed-Rate Mortgage and an ARM?
- How Should I Choose a Student Card?