A tax credit is an allowance that reduces the final amount of taxes owed on your federal income tax return. That compares with a tax deduction that reduces your taxable income which then is multiplied by a tax rate to arrive at the tax due. Hence, to many a tax credit is worth three to six times more than a tax deduction in terms of tax dollars saved.
Tax credits are rare but a recent one has allowed tax credit for investing in energy saving technologies such as solar panels. An earlier one allowed credit for investing in coal seam gas recovery.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Search for Excellence in Wind Power Development
- The News That Rocked Investors in Eagle Rock Energy Partners L.P.
- Facebook Inc. Earnings: Here's How They Crushed Estimates
- Marlboro Maker Altria Q1 Profit Falls
- The Easy Way to Collect a Monthly Paycheck from America?s Energy Boom
- General Motors Company Reports a Profit Despite Huge Recall Costs