A tax credit is an allowance that reduces the final amount of taxes owed on your federal income tax return. That compares with a tax deduction that reduces your taxable income which then is multiplied by a tax rate to arrive at the tax due. Hence, to many a tax credit is worth three to six times more than a tax deduction in terms of tax dollars saved.
Tax credits are rare but a recent one has allowed tax credit for investing in energy saving technologies such as solar panels. An earlier one allowed credit for investing in coal seam gas recovery.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Who's Really Getting Rich in High-Yield Stocks?
- 3 Investing Behaviors to Avoid
- 3 Cheap Dividend Stocks You Can Buy Right Now
- How Delta Air Lines, Inc. Will Keep Producing Record Earnings
- Are You Single? 3 Things You Need to Do Differently Than Married Couples
- 7 Investments That Can Help You Hedge Your Life