A tax credit is an allowance that reduces the final amount of taxes owed on your federal income tax return. That compares with a tax deduction that reduces your taxable income which then is multiplied by a tax rate to arrive at the tax due. Hence, to many a tax credit is worth three to six times more than a tax deduction in terms of tax dollars saved.
Tax credits are rare but a recent one has allowed tax credit for investing in energy saving technologies such as solar panels. An earlier one allowed credit for investing in coal seam gas recovery.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Amusement Park is Taking on Dubai
- Now Is the Time to Buy This Fast Growing Refiner
- Too Many Lousy Financial Stocks Have Kept the Dow Down This Year -- Here's How to Fix That
- H&R Block Banks On Getting Out of Banking
- Why Magellan Midstream Partners May Belong in Your Portfolio
- How These 2 Monster Dividend Stocks Work