A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why FuelCell Energy Inc. Has Skyrocketed 78% in 2014
- Why These Lagging Oil Stocks Are Worth a Look
- Samsung's Upcoming Galaxy Note 4 Could be Defined by an Unusual Accessory
- Apple, Inc.'s iPhone 6 Could Include a Technology It Has Long Shunned
- Oregon Obamacare Rollout "Incompetent" and "Atrocious"
- 3 Reasons Westport Innovations Inc. Stock Could Soar