A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- IPO Alert: The Company Behind Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Self-Driving Efforts?
- Does a New CFO and Mobile Advertising Solve the Problems at Twitter, Inc.?
- Can RadioShack's CEO Help Save American Apparel?
- Will Small Price Increases Mean Big Sales for Ford's 2015 F-150?
- What's Wrong With Dunkin' Brands?
- Aluminum Prices Finally Cross the $2k Mark