A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What to Watch for When Pepsi Reports Second Quarter Earnings Tomorrow
- Everyone Could Work Less
- Dow 17,000: I Am Not Exactly Celebrating
- Health Care Leads the Dow Jones Higher Today
- Why More Deals Could Be on the Way in the Bakken
- 3 Ways This Unintentional By-Product of the Energy Boom Could Make You Rich