A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Dividend Aristocrats: Time to Buy ExxonMobil?
- Can the iPhone 6 Be the Boost Outerwall, Inc. Needs?
- Can Sony Still Save Its Xperia Smartphone Business?
- Does Sirius XM Holdings Inc.'s $2.2 Billion Buyback Make Sense?
- Is the Stock Market Ready to Plunge? Here Are 3 Things to Do Right Now
- Dividend Aristocrats: Time to Buy Colgate-Palmolive?