A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Vimicro International Corporation Stock Fell 15% Today
- What You Need to Know About MSC Industrial Direct's Earnings
- Why National Bank of Greece Went Into Freefall in June
- Biogen Sees Promise in Gene Therapy
- Why PriceSmart Inc.'s Stock Rose 12% in June
- GasLog Partners' Unitholders Didn't Want to Share and Sent Shares Plummeting in June