A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- American Airlines' Rebirth, Sysco Gets Hungry, and McDonald's Sales Taste Bad
- Are Yongye Shareholders Getting Shortchanged?
- 4 Big Winners in China's 4G Push
- Starbucks Tries to Gild the Lily
- When You Buy These Miners, You Get What You Pay For
- Quick Money for the New Year: High-Quality Preferred Stocks Paying December Dividends