A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Worrisome Obamacare Trends That Could Put Its Long-Term Success in Jeopardy
- Would You Have Guessed This Is the Apparel Retailer Consumers Are Most Loyal to?
- 3 Best Stocks to Invest in Water
- 3 Stocks We Love That Wall Street Hates
- 3 Oft-Ignored Risks to the U.S. Economy
- How Tax-Scam Victims Can Clear Their Names With the IRS