A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Reasons Your Health Insurance Premium Will Likely Rise in 2016
- Costco Wholesale Corporation: The Best Business Model in Retail
- Sikorsky Is for Sale -- but Can Anyone Afford It?
- 3 Reasons Coach Inc.'s Stock Might Not Be Done Falling
- 3 Stock Market Tips for the Biotech Industry
- Wait, the FCC Thinks Comcast and Big Cable Have Enough Competition?