A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Should Be Your First Investment
- Can Obamacare Survive an Unfavorable Supreme Court Decision?
- Apple Watch Better Be More iPhone Than iPad
- A Fresh Marijuana Study Reveals Shocking News Regarding Its Relative Safety
- Billionaire George Soros Just Dumped These 3 Dividend Stocks
- Exclusive: Zillow Group Inc. Panel Talks Mobile, Acquisitions and Plans for 2015