A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Get Ready, Because Big Changes Are Coming to Obamacare in 2016
- Could This Halt Marijuana's Expansion in Its Tracks?
- Blast From the Past: Revisiting Movie, TV, and Music Forecasts From 2008
- Contract Required: Here's What AT&T Is Doing With DirecTV
- Why a Stock Market Crash Can Be a Wonderful Thing
- What Is Jeremy Clarkson's Net Worth?