A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is the Stock Market Overvalued? It All Depends on How You Measure It
- Will New Fed Policy Put Pressure on Gold Prices?
- FMC Plans to Separate Into 2 Publicly Traded Companies
- Why the Metals 3-D Printing Space Is the Place to Be in 2014
- 2 Reasons Investors Are Frustrated With Chevron
- 3 Ways You Can Be a Better Health-Care Investor Than Warren Buffett