A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Fiat Chrysler Earnings: Strong Jeep Sales and a Strong Dollar Fuel Gains
- 2014 Earnings Soar! Hear Boeing Co. Roar!
- How Investors in the United States Should Think About the Events in Greece
- 5 Things Monsanto Management Wants You to Know
- The One Thing Pfizer, Inc. Shareholders Should Worry About, and One They Shouldn't
- These Stocks Pay Big Yields With Barely More Risk Than Bonds