A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3D Printing Stocks: 2 Companies to Get on Your Watchlist
- Apple Pay's Best Feature May Be the Reason It Fails
- WisdomTree Grabs Up More Assets and Aims for Faster Growth
- 5 Things Aflac Incorporated's Management Wants You to Know
- Westport Innovations Q3 Earnings: Major Changes Underway... but Is It Too Late?
- MercadoLibre Stock Explodes Higher After a Blowout Quarter