A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Stocks for Retirees to Buy
- 5 Things Google, Inc Management Wants You To Know
- An Investing Opportunity in Hot Air
- 3 Signs That the Healthcare Stock Bubble Might Have Just Popped
- How Frontier Communications Can Pay More in Dividends Than It Earns
- 3 Things to Watch When National Oilwell Varco Inc. Reports Earnings