A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Facebook Inc's Instagram Leverage Its Advantages Over Twitter Inc Into More Revenue?
- Rite Aid Corporation Delivers A Huge Win
- What $60 Oil Could Mean for the Safety of Linn Energy's Sky-High Dividend
- More To Ruble?s Collapse Than Meets The Eye
- This Important Risk Factor For Apple, Inc. Just Came To a Head
- Carl Icahn's Recent Buys