Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Prestige Brands vs. Church & Dwight: Where Should You Invest?
- Apple Earnings: What the Media Got Wrong
- Why the Numbers Just Don't Add Up to Buy United Airlines
- 1 Industrial Giant Hauling the Dow Higher Today and 1 on Deck for Tomorrow
- Traveling Through Time on Google Maps
- Apple Earnings: 3 Things to Watch Today