Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why General Electric Company Is a Special Investment
- Warren Buffett's Portfolio: Pharmaceutical Companies the Oracle of Omaha Should Love
- STAG Industrial Keeps Shopping for Growth
- Is a DWS Mutual Fund Right for You?
- The Odd Reasons Why Chesapeake Energy Corporation?s Stock Surged 10% in April
- Bank of America Finally Admits It Should Have Listened to Shareholders Last Year