Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Facebook Inc's Instagram Leverage Its Advantages Over Twitter Inc Into More Revenue?
- The Only Stock Carl Icahn Sold Last Quarter
- Who's Really Getting Rich in High-Yield Stocks?
- The Best Bank Stock to Own for the Next Recession
- How to Invest in Bank Stocks the Warren Buffett Way
- Carl Icahn's Recent Buys