Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Which Midcap Cloud Stock Is the Best Long-Term Investment?
- Yes, You Can Retire With the Help of Oil and Natural Gas
- Baidu Can Capitalize on China's E-Commerce Growth Without Selling a Thing to Consumers
- 3 Reasons Why Darden Told Investors to Take a Hike!
- General Electric Company Boosts Debt by $3 Billion in "Opportunistic" Move
- A Big Quarter for Big Lots? Take a Closer Look