Research and development
Research and development (R&D) is the study of ideas, methods, products, and/or compounds with the goal of improving that which a company offers.
Research and development is vital to a company to remain competitive in a changing industry.
When possible, an investor should look to a company's R&D to help evaluate future performance, particularly when evaluating a longer-term investment.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- MercadoLibre Stock Explodes Higher After a Blowout Quarter
- LinkedIn Corp. Stock Moves Higher on Better-Than-Expected Q3 Results
- Investing in Socially Responsible Companies: Pandora Media, Inc.
- Starbucks Q4 Earnings: Wall Street's Cold Reaction to Hot Growth
- Groupon Reports a Solid Third Quarter, but Outlook Disappoints
- Why Broadcom Stock Soared 40% in 2014