Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are You Missing the Fuel Cell Revolution?
- Why FuelCell Energy Inc. Has Skyrocketed 78% in 2014
- The Disney Hero Who Should Control This $300 Billion Empire
- Why Electric Vehicles Won't Dominate Gas Over the Next Decade
- What Happened to Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Battery Swapping?
- Surprisingly, This Warren Buffett Myth Is Dead Wrong