Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Amazon.com Inc.'s Stock Could Rise
- 5 Things MasterCard Inc. Management Wants You to Know
- Top Franchises: Investing in Darden Restaurants
- 3 Reasons Microsoft Corporation's Windows 9 Will Succeed
- 3 Reasons Why Lorillard's Days as a Top Dividend Stock Are Over
- 2 Things Coach Dividend Investors Need to Know