Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sabermetrics Show Mariners Were Smart to Make Cano Deal
- Bitcoin and Other Forgotten Bubbles: What Happens After the Crash?
- One Person's Trash Is Another Person's Treasure Portfolio
- States Try to Tempt Boeing in Bid for 777X Jobs
- Apple Finally Scores China Mobile
- Is Hearthstone Activision Blizzard's Next Big Thing?