Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Dassault Aviation Play the Gulfstream Game?
- U.S. Utilities Facing Fuel Shortage Problems as Winter Approaches
- 3 Reasons Marathon Oil Corporation?s Stock Could Rise
- 1 Way to Spot Great Investments That Nobody Else Sees
- Why President Obama Should Refill the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve
- 3 Hidden Costs of Owning Rental Houses