Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What McDonald's Management Shuffle Means for Investors
- Space News: Should SpaceX Fear the New Orbital ATK?
- Will Sprint's New Offer Help It Win Customers From T-Mobile?
- 3 Risks for My Favorite Biotech Stock in 2015
- Why Did EMC Corporation Soar 5% Higher This Morning, Only to Lose It All Again?
- The Coca-Cola Co. Lost to the Market in 2014. Will These Deals Help the Stock Pop in 2015?