Redlining is the now illegal practice of limiting loans to certain geographic areas. "We do not loan north of a given street."
The intent was to make loans in the lender's home area where they knew the clients and their neighbors, but the effect was to refuse loans to minorities and poorer areas regardless of the borrower's ability to repay.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Does BMW Have a Heart-Pounding Performance Driving School That Anyone Can Attend?
- Undercover Activists May Have Found Something Disturbing at Bank of America
- LA Sues Wells Fargo, Citigroup Over Foreclosures in Minority Communities
- Is It Time to Buy This Former High-Flying Growth Stock?
- Coke's Labeling Lesson in Vitaminwater Lawsuit
- Why J.C. Penney Can't Be Saved