Payroll tax is the tax paid by the employer on the salary and wages paid to employees. It includes withholding taxes deducted from the worker's paycheck as well as taxes paid by the employer: employers portion of Social Security and Medicare, federal and state unemployment tax, and in many states workers compensation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Unemployment Rates in These 5 States Could Soar Next Year
- Don't Take an Early Retirement Package Before Asking These 3 Questions
- Social Security: Who Gets the Best Deal on Benefits?
- Social Security: 3 Charts Show the 3 Biggest Threats to Future Benefits
- Movado Group Ran Slow Last Quarter, But Will the Watchmaker Wind Itself Up?
- 3 Reasons Bank of America Corp's Stock Could Fall