Palladium is a platinum group metal along with platinum, iridium, rhodium, ruthenium, and osmium. About half the demand for palladium is for use in automobile catalytic converters. It's also used in many electronic devices, jewelry, and dentistry.
According to 2006 numbers from the International Platinum Group Metals Association, Russia is home to about half the world's supply of palladium, with South Africa at 36 percent and North America at 12 percent.
Related Fool Articles
- Stillwater Mining Co. (NYSE: SWC)
- North American Palladium (NYSE: PAL)
- ETFS Palladium Shares (NYSE: PALL)
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Fool's Gold Report: Gold, Platinum Again Diverge; Barrick Sells Part of African Stake
- Fool's Gold Report: Gold Stands Firm Against China Data As Other Metals Drop
- Fool's Gold Report: Employment Report Sinks Gold, Silver; Freeport, Coeur Plunge
- Fool's Gold Report: Metals Climb Following ECB Pause, Dollar Decline
- Fool's Gold Report: Platinum-Group Metals Keep Climbing Faster Than Gold
- 3 Lessons From Tuesday's 228-Point Dow Jump