Occidental Petroleum (NYSE: OXY) is a developer of crude oil and natural gas.
Occidental also has a chemical division best known as the owner of Hooker Chemical Co., which became associated with the Love Canal incident. Hooker was an early producer of chlor-alkali. According to C&EN Occidental now ranks second behind Dow Chemical in that business.
For more about Hooker, see “Salt & Water, Power & People: A Short History of Hooker Electrochemical Co.,” by Robert E. Thomas, Hooker Chemical Co., Niagara Falls, NY, 1955. It is reviewed on Motley Fool's Books Non-fiction board here: http://boards.fool.com/hooker-chemical-company-29250894.aspx
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things Occidental Petroleum Corporation Wants You to Know
- Despite Terrible Oil Prices, Occidental Petroleum Corporation Turned in a Surprising Profit
- Should Investors Worry That These 2 High-Yield Oil Stocks Are Banking on $60 Oil?
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation and the Reminder That Timing and Location Are Everything
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation: An Often Overlooked Oil Company