Occidental Petroleum (NYSE: OXY) is a developer of crude oil and natural gas.
Occidental also has a chemical division best known as the owner of Hooker Chemical Co., which became associated with the Love Canal incident. Hooker was an early producer of chlor-alkali. According to C&EN Occidental now ranks second behind Dow Chemical in that business.
For more about Hooker, see “Salt & Water, Power & People: A Short History of Hooker Electrochemical Co.,” by Robert E. Thomas, Hooker Chemical Co., Niagara Falls, NY, 1955. It is reviewed on Motley Fool's Books Non-fiction board here: http://boards.fool.com/hooker-chemical-company-29250894.aspx
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Jabil Circuit, Occidental Petroleum, and International Game Technology Are Today?s 3 Worst Stock
- Should Investors Buy the Occidental Spinoff?
- A Major Turnaround Is Under Way at This Oil Company
- Occidental Petroleum to Spin Off California Business
- NuStar Energy Signs NGL Transport Deal With Occidental Petroleum