The mortgage service company is the one who receives your payments, and credits them to your account. They are the ones who answer any quesitions that come up. If you make additional payments on your mortgage, they are the ones who decide where to credit that money and whether the payment goes into the escrow account or against your principle. If you prepay the loan, they are also the ones who determine if a penalty is due.
Estabishing a working relationship with your mortgage servicing company is good practice. Good communications can help resolve the issues if a problem arises. If you have a problem, call them sooner rather than avoiding them.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Market Week in Review: S&P Rises 1% With 3 Record Highs; Valero, Lorillard Soar
- How to Get Rich Off Real Estate Like Warren Buffett
- How Lazy Investors Can Get Rich Buying Boring Banks
- This 149-Bagger Has Been Selling Chimera, Fusion-io, and SanDisk
- What's Driving the Big Spending on Mergers and Acquisitions
- Why Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, Arrowhead Research, and Maxwell Technologies Are Today's 3 Best Stock