Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Huge Risks Facing Amazon
- 3 Growth Stocks Hitting 52-Week Lows
- Why Stratasys Ltd. Stock Plummeted 7% Today -- and Then Mostly Recovered
- Twitter, Inc Stock Sell-Off: Inevitable Correction, or Buying Opportunity?
- Garmin Ltd. Tumbles As Market for GPS Units Declines
- What to Watch for When Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. Reports Earnings