Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are the Earnings at Lifepoint Hospitals Hiding Something?
- Don't Get Too Worked Up Over Teledyne Technologies's Earnings
- Here's How Viacom Is Making You So Much Cash
- Don't Get Too Worked Up Over UNS Energy's Earnings
- Don't Get Too Worked Up Over H&E Equipment Services's Earnings
- Big Pharma's Biggest Grudge Match