Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Dividends That Will Last Long After You Retire
- Verizon Again Shows It's Not Playing Nice With Competing Carriers
- Seadrill Ltd. Q3 Earnings: Dividend Suspended, Misses Earnings by 50%
- 3 Reasons Workday Inc.'s Stock Could Fall
- Hewlett-Packard Company Offers Mixed Q4 Results
- There Are Better Semiconductor Stocks Than Intel. Here's One.