Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Lorillard Inc. Earnings: Higher Prices, Lower Volumes, Sinking E-Cig Share
- The 1 Dividend Stock That I'm Never Selling
- The No. 1 Mistake Investors Make
- Netgear's Earnings: Solid Quarter Sends Mixed Signals
- Is It Time to Buy American Tower Corporation's Stock?
- Facebook vs. Twitter: Which Is the Better Social-Media Investment?