Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Real Reason Marijuana is a Dangerous Investment
- Move Over Galaxy Note Edge, Samsung Has Bigger Plans for 2015
- Which Mobile Phone Company Has the Highest Early Termination Fees? (Hint: It Isn?t AT&T)
- 3 Supermarkets America Loves the Most and 1 You Love to Hate
- Solar is Disrupting the $2 Trillion Energy Industry: This CEO Tells You How
- Kinder Morgan's Merger Will Keep its Dividend Safe For Years to Come