Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Toyota's Latest Move Toward Self-Driving Cars
- The Cloud Banks Another Billion for International Business Machines Corp.
- Currencies: The U.S. Trade Deficit Expands While We Wait on the Fed
- Would an Ebola Vaccine Move Regeneron Pharmaceuticals' Bottom Line?
- Do These 3 Dow Summer Survivors Belong in Your Portfolio?
- Twitter Tries to Fit a Square CEO Into a Round Hole