Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Is George Soros Buying This Beaten Down Biotech Stock?
- Will AMC Be the Netflix of Multiplexes?
- Why I Doubled Down on This High-Yield Stock
- Gold News: Forget the Metal, It's Time to Buy the Miners
- The 1 Thing I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I First Started Investing
- Price of Gold in 2015: Can It Regain Its Luster?