Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Cytosorbents Corp Shares Burst Today
- Why Smart Money Loves This Dow Stock
- Why EXCO Resources Inc. Stock Popped Almost 10% Today
- Will Ford Motor Company's Recent Recall Put a Dent in Its First-Quarter?
- Prospect Capital Corp.'s "Spinoff" Really Isn't a Spinoff At All
- How Are FedEx Corporation and United Parcel Service, Inc. Shaping Up for 2015?