Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- China, China, China! Coffee, Coffee, Coffee! Oh, and Tea, Too: Starbucks' Future Summed Up
- Investigating a Potential Employer: Using Financial Metrics to Protect Your Future
- Inside the iPhone 6s -- What to Expect from the Apple Inc. A9
- How Much Risk Should You Take With Your IRA?
- Strong U.S. Dollar, Milder Winter Help Canadian National Railway Stay on Track in Q1
- Rogers Communications Inc. Dials Up Weak Earnings