Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Stocks Near 52-Week Highs Worth Selling
- Will Apple Join the Dow Jones Industrial Average?
- Girls Are Ditching Barbie for American Girl, Spelling Bad News for Mattel
- Why iRobot Corporation Stock Plummeted 10% Despite Its Earnings Beat
- Zillow, Move, or Trulia: Which Company Has the Most Upside Potential?
- Is General Electric Company on the Cusp of Its Biggest Deal Ever?