Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Universal Corp Is Changing With the Times
- Can You Guess Which Coffee Chain Has the Most Loyal Customers? You Might Be Surprised!
- Buckle, Cheesecake Factory, Dorman Products: 3 Mid-Cap Companies to Watch
- 4 Reasons You Should Watch This Under-the-Radar Stock on Your Watchlist
- McDonald's Corporation Earnings: Will the Golden Arches Ever Grow Again?
- Travelers Companies Inc Earnings: Are Storm Clouds Looming?