Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc Stock Was Down 15% Last Month. Here's Why
- Will Patent Cliff Concerns Impact Johnson & Johnson?
- Why AK Steel Holding Corporation's Shares Dropped 25% in June
- The Reasons Behind Peabody Energy's Beat Down in June
- GasLog Partners' Unitholders Didn't Want to Share and Sent Shares Plummeting in June
- Why Cree, Inc. Stock Fell 14% in June