Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Ins and Outs of Commodity Dividends
- What Lies Ahead for Kohl's Corporation This Holiday Season?
- Financial Literacy Grab Bag: 13Fs, a Terrible Short, and a Test
- Why Kohl's Is the Department-Store Stock to Buy This Holiday Season
- Why Ambarella Fell 6% Yesterday
- 5 Things LINN Energy LLC Wants You to Know About Its Debt Situation