Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Things to Watch as Genomic Health Reports Earnings
- Why Visual Studio 2015 Is Important for Microsoft Corporation
- Cliffs Natural Earnings Fail to Live Up to Investors' Hopes
- CBOE Holdings, Inc. Revenue Tops Expectations Even as Trading Volume Remains Muted
- 10 Quick Topics to Brighten Your Summer
- Amgen Crushes Wall Street's Expectations in Q2, But This Figure Is a Bit Worrisome