Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Questions Going Into Google Inc. Earnings
- Winter Is Coming to IMAX: "Game of Thrones" Gets the Widescreen Treatment
- MicroStrategy Incorporated Stock Plunges 10% on Q4 Revenue Miss
- How iRobot Corporation is Investing for the Future
- Why Seagate Technology PLC Fell as Much as 11.6% Today
- McDonald?s Can?t Spend its Way out of This Mess