MMORPG is a commonly used acronym for massive multiplayer online role playing game.
The most famous at present is World of Warcraft, an extremely popular (and lucrative) offering from Activision Blizzard. The business model is a monthly or longer subscription, approximately $15 of cash flow up-front per month. As of late July 2008, the game counts more than 11 million players. You do the math. Activision Blizzard is minting money, and Warcraft is a billion-dollar property (not even counting brand value, etc.).
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Ways Mobile Games Are Destroying the Video Game Industry
- Can This Gaming Stock Regain Its Mojo?
- Activision Will Rule 2014
- China?s Online Gaming Market Is Reportedly up 246% in 2013
- 'The Elder Scrolls Online: Imperial Edition' Highlights Two Big Business Problems
- Destiny Will Drive Growth for Activision Blizzard in 2014 and Beyond