Chanos is best known for his famous and public short of Enron. As a frequent critic of mark to market accouting, Chanos was drawn to look at Enron's finances in 2000 knowing that Enron used this method. Subsequently he gained significant media attention for his correct call.
Chanos's most remarkable accomplishment may have been keeping his short side only fund afloat during the 90's equities bull market. Currently his fund has approximately 4-6 billion in assets and keeps 40-60 short positions open at any time.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Top Play on Infrastructure Isn?t Caterpillar Inc.
- Seagate Technology PLC Is a Tech Dividend Power House
- Why Deere & Company Is a Better Value Than Caterpillar
- Does GameStop's CEO Know What He's Talking About?
- Why Nike and Caterpillar Are Leading the Dow Jones Higher Today
- Facebook Overpaid for Oculus