The Internet is a widespread communications system utilizing computer technology which allows for the dissemination of information globally.
The service most everyday people use on the Internet is the World Wide Web.
The Internet's creation and popularization (in particular the World Wide Web) is one of the foremost societal revolutions in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. The Internet allows information to be much more equitably accessible than at any other time in human history. The speed at which information can travel on the internet is something of which the complete effects are still unknown. Already the internet has helped change a wide variety of behaviors including dating, social norms, news gathering, and politics.
For investors the World Wide Web has sparked a fundamental revolution in investing. Its existence has dramatically leveled the playing field for retail investors, as its presence has allowed for the creation and popularization of online discount brokers which dramatically reduces the cost of buying stocks. Furthermore it has allowed the retail investor unprecedented access to Securities and Exchange Commission filings of publicly traded companies through the EDGAR and IDEA systems.
This new ease of access to buying and selling stocks, information on companies, and stock charts has also dramatically increased the popularity of daytrading among retail investors.
Trivia and Fun Facts
Nicknames for the internet include "The Internets" and "The Interwebs".
Contrary to urban legend, Al Gore did not invent the Internet.
You are on the Internet right now.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Does Google Inc. Think Wireless Data Should Come a la Carte? What a Leaked Bit of Info Might Tell Us
- Investigating a Potential Employer: Using Financial Metrics to Protect Your Future
- What to Expect From McDonald?s Corporation on April 22
- Apple Inc. Might Be Launching New Macs Really Soon
- Inside the iPhone 6s -- What to Expect from the Apple Inc. A9
- Why Shares of Juno Therapeutics Inc. and Kite Pharma Inc. Crashed Today