An insurance agent is the representative for an insurer. He may be an independent agent representing the products of a collection of insurance companies, or he may be a dedicated agent who represents a single company. Some agents specialize in selling certain kinds of policies such as life insurance, or annuities sold to individuals, or various kinds of insurance sold to small businesses or corporations. An agent usually works for an agency.
Increasingly insurance products are being sold over the internet or by advertizing requesting a client call an agent by 800 number. The insurance agent could be an endangered species.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 8 Unexpected Retirement Costs to Plan For
- How Do Annuity Rates Really Compare With CDs?
- Are You Guilty of Committing Suze Orman's 5 "Forever Nevers"?
- 5 Things Galena Biopharma Wants You to Know
- The NFL's Highest-Paid Football Player Was a Backup for 3 Years
- First American Financial Rides the New Housing Boom Higher