The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is the Housing Sector Doomed Once Interest Rates Start Rising?
- Does a Reverse Mortgage Make Sense for You?
- 3 Cheap Dividend Stocks You Can Buy Right Now
- Competition in Banking: Too Much of a Good Thing?
- How the Home-Office Deduction Works With the Mortgage-Interest Deduction
- Important Stories Worth Paying Attention To