The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How to Qualify for the Lowest Home Loan Rates
- When Will BofI Holding, Inc. Become a Competitive National Bank?
- 5 Ways to Get the Best Mortgage Rates
- Mortgage Interest Rates: You Have It Better Than You Realize
- The Biggest Lesson From the Rick Santelli Rant Rebuttal
- Regions Financial Corp or SunTrust Banks, Inc.: Which Bank Has the Bigger Profit Engine?