The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Simple Reason Home Prices Should Continue to Rise in 2015
- 3 Companies with Better Dividends Than Annaly Capital Management, Inc.
- Why the Real Social Security Crisis Will Start in 2020
- Don't Be Fooled by the New FHA Mortgage Insurance Premiums
- The Most Important Money Mistake to Avoid
- TSP: 5 Reasons Why It's the Best Retirement Plan Ever