The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Hovnanian Earnings Outpace Beazer Homes and Standard Pacific?
- Will Home Depot Remain One of the Dow's Best Stocks in 2014?
- Q&A: How Volcker Rule Would Limit Banks' Risky Bets
- Here's What These Quantitative Investors Have Been Buying
- Why NorthStar Realty Finance, Select Medical, and Global Ship Lease Are Today's 3 Best Stocks
- Consumer Confidence, Low Mortgage Rates Boost Toll Brothers' Sales