A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Monday?s Top Biotech Stories: Allergan, Anacor, and Sinovac Biotech
- 3 Stocks to Get on Your Watchlist
- Why Is Wall Street Bullish on These 3 Stocks?
- After a Great Quarter, Is Ubisoft Entertainment a Strong Play for Investors?
- AbbVie and Shire Close, but Not There Yet
- Top Biotech Stocks to Watch Today: Allergan, Arena Pharmaceuticals and Bristol-Myers Squibb