A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Goldcorp Inc Raises Offer for Osisko
- Why Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited Shares Rocketed Higher
- Goldcorp Heats up Osisko Takeover Battle With Yamana
- The Gold Market is Broken Which Means a Rally Could Be Near
- Why Goldcorp Might Walk Away From the Osisko Deal
- Fool's Gold Report: Metals Soar As Gold Reclaims $1,300; Will Goldcorp Yield to Yamana?