A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Statement of Shareholders? Equity
- Why Airgas, Nuance Communications, and Syngenta Jumped Today
- Mylan N.V.'s Hostile Takeover Attempt of Perrigo Fails -- Investors Cheer
- Why Angie's List Inc. Jumped On Thursday
- Why PMC-Sierra Inc Gained 76% in October
- Mylan N.V. Posts Strong Q3 Ahead of Attempted Perrigo Buyout