A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Single Biggest Threat to Walt Disney Co Shareholders
- Top Investors Have Bought These 3 Stocks
- Dollar Tree Inc. Earnings: Consumers Want to Keep the Deep Discounts Coming
- 5 Reasons The Halliburton-Baker Hughes Deal Is Poisoned
- Why Google Doesn?t Care If You Want A Dividend
- Actavis plc and Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc. Battle for Allergan Inc.: Who Wins?