A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Goldcorp Gains Ground in Osisko Takeover
- Will Men's Wearhouse Ever Give Up on Jos. A Bank?
- Can Nintendo Become the Next Disney?
- 3 Losers and 2 Winners From AT&T's Pass on Vodafone
- What Does a $1.1 Billion Share Buyback Mean for Nintendo?
- A Recovery in Gold and Copper Prices is Great News for These Mining Stocks