A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- A BDC Titan Opines on TICC Capital and Consolidation in BDCs
- Forget Big Pharma: These Little Stocks Offer Far Richer Investing Opportunities
- Pershing Square Capital Management's Legendary Performance
- How to Calculate Stockholders' Equity for a Balance Sheet
- Why the General Motors and FCA Merger Might Be the Right Answer but the Wrong Time
- 5 Things Energy Transfer's Management Wants You to Know