A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Actavis plc and Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc. Battle for Allergan Inc.: Who Wins?
- 5 Things Family Dollar's Management Wants You to Know
- Family Dollar Takeover Gets Hostile
- 3 Reasons Family Dollar's Stock Could Fall
- 3 Questions for Allergan Inc.
- California Judge Derails Allergan's Attempt to Block Ackman and Valeant