A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Ralph Lauren Wants a Piece of This $9.2 Billion Market
- 3 Reasons Westport Innovations Inc. Stock Could Soar
- 5 Things Altria Group Inc. Management Wants You to Know
- Microsoft?s Windows Phone Strategy Makes No Sense
- Is It Time to Buy iRobot Corporation's Stock?
- 5 Highly Effective Habits of This Iowa Farmer Turned Billionaire