A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Here's Why Pandora Media Inc. Is Beating Apple
- SodaStream Still Looks Cheap, Despite the Stock's Rally This Week
- Which Beer Stock Should You Guzzle Down for Your Portfolio?
- Wynn Resorts Ltd. Earnings: How Now, Macau?
- 2 Reasons Why Merck & Co. Is Crushing the Dow
- Intel's Mobile Group Loses Over $3 Billion in 2013