A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Stocks to Watch in Smartwatches
- Will Apple Inc.?s New Music Service Kill Pandora Media Inc.?
- Baidu Inc.'s Big Strength: Mobile
- Virtual Reality Competition Heats Up: Will Google, Apple, or Facebook Win?
- GoPro Inc. Has Big Plans for The Cloud
- E-commerce Investment Opportunities for the Long Term: Amazon.com Inc., Petmed Express Inc., and Pay