A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Best Environmental Stocks: 3 Companies Profiting From a Greener Earth
- 5 Things Netflix, Inc.'s Management Wants You to Know
- Google Could be About to Lose Another Smartwatch Partner
- The Next Blue Chip Stocks: 3D Systems Corporation
- The Future of Cable: DISH Network Mounts an Attack
- Cheap Stocks Wall Street Loves: Monsanto