First Solar (Nasdaq: FSLR) designs and manufactures solar modules using a proprietary thin film semiconductor technology.
In 2013, General Electric announced that it was selling its solar panels business to First Solar. The deal included the sale of cadmium telluride thin film technology, which First Solar will use in its plants. GE had previously announced construction of a $300MM plant to make solar panels in Aurora, CO. That investment is now on hold.
For additional information, see the Solar energy article.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Following 2 Upgrades and 2 Price Target Hikes, Is First Solar, Inc. a Buy?
- 3 Stock Opportunities in the World's Largest Solar Plant
- SunPower and First Solar Combining in New YieldCo Vehicle
- Why Shares of First Solar, Inc. and SunPower Corporation Both Popped Today
- In Case You Missed It, Obama Just Proposed The Solar Tax Credit Remain in Effect -- Forever