(verb) To finance something is to provide or obtain the capital, or money, for its acquisition or operation. This can be done through lending/borrowing ("How could you afford such a nice car?" "I financed it." Or "IndyMac financed my house."); sale/purchase of equity (part ownership, e.g. "Goldman Sachs financed First Marblehead's wait for the return of the credit market by buying securities convertible to 5.3 million shares."); or outright giving ("His parents unwittingly financed his marijuana habit with their monthly checks.")
- Credit market
- Part ownership
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Easy Ways to Spring Clean Your Finances
- McDonald's Corporation Earnings: Will the Golden Arches Ever Grow Again?
- Travelers Companies Inc Earnings: Are Storm Clouds Looming?
- AT&T Inc. Earnings: Will Price Wars Crush Growth?
- Earnings Season: How the Dow's Financials Fared This Week
- Kimberly-Clark Corp. Earnings: Has Growth Come to a Standstill?