Expiration refers to the date on which a contract terminates.
Several investment products have expiration dates. The most common ones are stock options. An option grants the right to buy or sell a stock or other asset as a specified price on a specified date. That right can have a market value and some are actively traded on markets like the Chicago Board Option Exchange (CBOE). When the option expires, it is void, and has no further market value.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Shares of Cardtronics Inc. Slumped Today
- Will Patent Cliff Concerns Impact Johnson & Johnson?
- Molycorp Inc's Bankruptcy Is the Beginning of the End for Rare Earths Miners
- This Could Be Johnson & Johnson?s Future
- Why VirnetX Holding Corporation Stock Fell 12.7% in June
- The Week Ahead: Greece, China, and the Fed