Expiration refers to the date on which a contract terminates.
Several investment products have expiration dates. The most common ones are stock options. An option grants the right to buy or sell a stock or other asset as a specified price on a specified date. That right can have a market value and some are actively traded on markets like the Chicago Board Option Exchange (CBOE). When the option expires, it is void, and has no further market value.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is Stratasys, Ltd. Printing Pain for Current Investors?
- The Search for Excellence in Wind Power Development
- This Big Pharma Just Went to the Dogs, and That's Great News for Shareholders
- Is This Struggling Drugmaker Worth $100 Billion?
- Earnings Roundup: Biogen's Tecfidera Wins More Share
- AstraZeneca's Q1 Profit Falls 11% Despite Strong Diabetes Drug Growth