The downpayment is equity offered with a sales contract to secure a deal. In some cases it may be earnest money, but in larger deals such as real estate, a separate earnest money payment secures the deal in the approval stages while the downpayment is paid later, if not at the close.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are You Really Approved for That Home Loan?
- BofI Holding Inc: Continually the Best in Class - With Good Reason
- 10 Questions to Help You Get the Best Mortgage Rates
- Do You Really Need That in Your New House?
- Spring Is in the Air: Is Your House Ready?
- These 2 Variables Dictate the Financial Wisdom of Homeownership