A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Danger Lurking for El Paso Pipeline Partners L.P.'s Dividend?
- People Really Hate Monsanto, Its Latest Move Shows It Couldn't Care Less
- Which Major Cable Company Has the Most Fed Up Customers?
- The Social Security Decision You Might Regret
- You'll Never Guess Which Retailer Has the Cheapest Prices (Hint: It's Not Wal-Mart)
- Don't Let Social Security Overpayments Come Back to Haunt You