A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Solar is Disrupting the $2 Trillion Energy Industry: This CEO Tells You How
- Kinder Morgan's Merger Will Keep its Dividend Safe For Years to Come
- 5 Things Mondelez International Inc.'s Management Wants You to Know
- 2 Things Texas Instruments Incorporated Investors Need to Know
- The Smart Way to Think About Wild Markets
- Net Neutrality, Over-the-Top, and Merger Approvals: 3 Must-Read Quotes From Charter CEO Tom Rutledge