A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Texas Instruments Incorporated Earnings: This Is Not the Earnings Surprise You Were Looking For
- What a Rising Apple Inc. Dividend Could Mean for Investors
- Winter Is Coming to IMAX: "Game of Thrones" Gets the Widescreen Treatment
- If You Think Buying Loews Stock is a Slam Dunk, Then You're Missing This Important Point
- 2 Dividend Aristocrat Stocks to Avoid, and 1 to Buy
- MLPs: Energy Transfer Partners LP Forks Over $18 Billion to Bulk Up