Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- OPEC Issues Another Warning of a Future Oil-Price Spike
- The Real Threat to Your Retirement Portfolio -- It?s Not What You Think!
- How Does Social Security Work?
- Boston Beer Co Inc Has Nothing to Fear From the Budweiser-Miller Merger
- 2 Biotech Stocks to Watch in December
- Even After the Oil Price Crash, These 3 Energy Stocks Are Still Overvalued