Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 1 Debilitating Trend That Could Put This Miner Out of Business
- The 1 Major Risk That Could Bring Down This Gold Titan
- Forget Growth, This Gold Miner Is in Survival Mode
- Can This Brewer Go From Good to Great?
- Wrong Number: 1 Misleading Metric That Makes Kinder Morgan Inc Look Insanely Expensive
- Why Boston Beer Co. Inc. Stock Fell 15% in February