Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- High-Yield Limited Partnerships, the Next Home for Renewable Energy Investments
- This Move By Lawmakers Could Reduce Select Social Security Benefits By 19%
- This Is Why Seadrill Ltd.?s Stock Sprung a Leak and Sank 70% in 2014
- 2 High-Yielding Investments You Need to Avoid Like the Plague
- Energy Sector Outlook for 2015
- Where Could Social Security Be in 30 Years?