A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Intel is Today's Top Stock on a Down Day for the Dow
- 5 Tips for Smart Automatic 401(k) Investing
- Why the Next Mortgage Crisis Could Come Sooner Than You Think
- Before You Quit Your Job, Know the Rules for Rolling Over Retirement Savings
- How Global Trends Will Affect Your Portfolio in 2014
- Does Staples Have a RadioShack Problem?