A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Huge Risks Facing Amazon
- Self-Driving Cars: What Will It Take to Make Automated Vehicles Legal in the U.S.?
- Starting a Business? Don't Skip This Key Step
- Everything You Need to Know About VA Mortgage Refinancing
- Australia's Brilliant -- and Brutal -- Retirement Crisis Solution
- Borrowing Against a 401(k) Is Never a Good Idea