A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- A Good Credit Score Might Get Easier to Attain, but Is This a Good Thing?
- Social Security: The Shocking Way the Government's Taking Benefits Away
- Apple's iPhone 6 Event: The 3 Most Surprising Announcements
- 3 Reasons Emerson Electric Co.'s Stock Could Fall
- Will This Save Microsoft Corporation's MSN.com From Irrelevance?
- Is WWE's Dividend Sustainable?