A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is It Finally Time to Buy a House?
- 8 Common Refinance Mistakes
- Are Degrees From For-Profit Colleges Worth the Paper They're Printed On?
- SolarCity Just Opened up a New Solar Market
- Has the Stock Market Crash of 2014 Begun?
- Better Dividend Stock: PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust or Starwood Property Trust Inc.?