A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things You Didn?t Know About FHA Mortgage Rates
- 3 Stocks You'll Want To Own If Inflation Begins To Rise
- The Best Return on Equity in Oil and Gas Stocks
- How Solvency Impacts a Business's Ability to Survive
- Apple Inc's Latest Acquisition Could Hurt Google Inc.
- Is Your Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) a Trap?