A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Sears Hometown Outperform Sears Holdings and Best Buy?
- Roundtable: 1 Stock to Buy in December
- 1 Bank You've Never Heard Of and How It Put Your Favorite Banks to Shame
- Google Doesn't Profit From Over 270 Million Android Users, But These Companies Do
- 3 Stocks to Get on Your Watchlist
- Sears Slumps on Insider Sale, Las Vegas Sands Wins Big on Upgrade