A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The 3 Worst Reasons to Buy a House -- Don't Fall for These Myths
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells: The Next Big Thing or Technological Fad?
- Why You Shouldn't Consolidate Your Student Loans
- The Biggest Opportunity for Annaly Capital Management Inc.
- The Oil and Gas Sector: Here Come the Defaults
- Why Chesapeake Energy, Tenet Healthcare, and JinkoSolar Slumped Today