A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- "Ignorance Is Bliss" Seems to Be Most People's Unfortunate Retirement Plan
- 3 Reasons to Be Wary of SolarCity Stock
- Internet of Things Stock CalAmp Corp. is a Tale of 2 Businesses
- Apple's iPhone Success Is Bad News For Android, Windows, And Blackberry Phones
- 25 Major Factors That Caused or Contributed to the Financial Crisis
- Can Ally Financial Cope With the Loss of General Motors?