A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- General Electric Company Wants You to Meet the Factory of the Future
- Why American Express Gave Costco the Boot (and Not the Other Way Around)
- Microsoft vs Google: Did Samsung Just Tip The Tablet Battle?
- Negative Interest Rates: Even Worse Than They Seem?
- Sears Holdings Risk Rises as Vendors Get Nervous ... Again
- Las Vegas Casino REITS: Will This Spell Doom for Las Vegas Investors?