A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Borrowing Against a 401(k) Is Never a Good Idea
- Sprouts vs. Whole Foods: Still No Contest
- The Best Dividend Stock to Cash in on this Huge Trend
- What Google's Android 5.0 Lollipop Means For Mobile Enterprise
- 4 Things to Watch as Yandex NV Looks to Calm Fears About Hard Times in Russia
- Is It Finally Time to Buy a House?