In accounting, debit means to raise the balance of an asset account or to lower the balance of a liability or equity account.
The common sense definition is "to lower," but accounting is not common sensical. In the T-format of entering amounts into different accounts, debit is the left-hand side. For asset accounts, "debit" means an increase in the balance.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Home Depot, Inc's Data Breach Will Not Doom Its Business
- The Hidden Opportunity in Mobile Payments
- Will Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 Finally Make NFC Payments a Reality?
- Home Depot's Record-Breaking Credit Card Breach Could Have Been Much Worse
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Enrolling For Obamacare in 2015
- Smartphone Can be a Valuable Finance Tool ? if You Know How to Use It