Compensation is payment made to employees for their services.
Compensation is usually either salary (paid by the month) or wages (paid by the hour). Salaried employees are exempt from overtime laws. Waged employees are not exempt from overtimes laws, and are sometimes referred to as non-exempts.
In these times many workers are self-employed contract workers. They are paid for their services as contractors, but are not considered employees. Hence, they are responsible for paying for their own benefits and Social Security payments. They pay self employment tax, and they are eligible to participate in retirement plans for the self-employed.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "Ask the Headhunter" board. []
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things American Airlines Group, Inc. Management Wants You to Know
- Can You Actually Have Too Much in Your 401(k) and IRA?
- Align Technology Misses the Mark With Q4 Report
- NetSuite Inc. Earnings: What the CEO Says About Beating SAP and Salesforce.com
- Why Banks Are Worried About Low Oil Prices
- Pursuing Profits? Meet Margins!