A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- IRS Budget Cuts Mean Your Chances of Getting Audited Are Less
- The Smartest Tax Move We Can Make
- 3 Stocks Near 52-Week Highs Worth Selling
- What You Need to Know About Bank of America's Latest Settlement
- What Does Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac's Massive Windfall Mean to You?
- Samsung?s Obama-Ortiz Selfie Doesn?t Deserve the Media Backlash