A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Solid Reasons Waste Management Inc. Looks Attractive
- What Happens to Credit Card Debt When Someone Dies
- Why the FCC Extended the Deadline for Public Comment on Net Neutrality
- After AIG Settlement, Bank of America Corp Has Only 2 Major Legal Cases Remaining
- Are We Destined to Repeat the 2010 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill?
- Defense News Roundup: Boeing Gets Contracts for Bombers ... and Bombs