A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Company Worked With NASA to Launch 3D Tech, Lasers, and Robots To Avoid Another Billion-Dollar
- Why Oil Prices May Not Recover Anytime Soon
- Why Are World-Famous Fund Managers Piling Into This Small-Cap Stock?
- 3 Reasons Bank of America's Fourth-Quarter Earnings Are Better Than They Seem
- 9 Credit Report Myths You Need to Know
- Senior Loan Funds 101