A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sotheby's Drops the Hammer on a Profit Surprise Even as Revenue Falls
- Shutterstock Looks Good As Traffic and Collection Size Grow
- Social Security: The Biggest Threat to Your Benefits (Hint: It Isn't Claiming at 62)
- 2 Industries That Benefit From the Demise of the Comcast-Time Warner Deal
- The Most Hated Companies in Cable
- HBO Wants You to Watch "Game of Thrones" On Apple TV Instead of iPhone