A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Most Hated Companies in Cable
- HBO Wants You to Watch "Game of Thrones" On Apple TV Instead of iPhone
- Pain-Free Blood Tests? Sign Me Up!
- 5 Reasons Why Oil Prices Spiked Higher This Week
- SSI Income Limits: Where Do You Stand When It Comes to This Financial Aid?
- Paying Your Bills via Google Inc's Gmail. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?