A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will Russia Beat America in the Race (Back) to the Moon?
- 3 Reasons Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc.?s Stock Could Fall
- Defense News Roundup: "Military Intelligence" Costs $7.2 Billion
- Are You Sure You Want a Google Inc. Smart Home?
- Social Security Disability: Do You and Your Family Qualify?
- Will Piracy Affect Netflix, Inc.'s International Expansion?