A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Ultra-High Dividend Stock Is Buying Back Its Shares at a Discount
- How Comcast or AT&T Could Become Better Than Netflix (and Why They Won't)
- Bad Second Quarter Has Oil Majors Restructuring
- Tougher Marijuana Regulations Could Be Coming to a State Near You
- What Is Donald Trump's Net Worth?
- Medicare Reform: Are There Realistic Alternatives to a Jeb Bush "Phaseout"?