The cash burn is the amount of money an unprofitable company is using to run its business. It shouldn't be confused with the loss on the income statement as that usually includes non-cash expenses like employee stock options.
The cash burn is helpful in determining how long a company can survive until it will need to get further financing or go bankrupt.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Clean Energy Fuels Q3 Earnings: Turning the Corner?
- Could Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. Be Running Out of Money?
- Pacific Biosciences of California Earnings Rocket Higher on Roche Deal
- Apple, Inc. (AAPL) and GT Advanced (GTAT) Officially Call It Quits
- Could Organovo Holdings Inc. Be Running Out of Money?
- Could Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. Be Running Out of Money?