The cash burn is the amount of money an unprofitable company is using to run its business. It shouldn't be confused with the loss on the income statement as that usually includes non-cash expenses like employee stock options.
The cash burn is helpful in determining how long a company can survive until it will need to get further financing or go bankrupt.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Northwest Biotherapeutics Inc. Stock Skyrocketed 36% in 2014
- Why Organovo Holdings Inc Stock Crashed By 40% in 2014
- Why ImmunoGen, Inc. Stock Crashed 22% in 2014
- Why Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. Stock Soared By 17% in 2014
- Why Exelixis Inc. Stock Crashed By 70% in 2014
- Why Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. Plunged By 10% in 2014