Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Wells Fargo Will Always Beat Bank of America Over the Long Term
- Good News! Bank of America Lost $6 Billion in Income
- New Data Reveals the Destruction That Would Be Wrought By Bank of America's Failure
- The Recent News That Could Make Bank of America's Investors Filthy Rich
- Is JPMorgan Chase One of the Best Companies in America?