Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Bank of America's Problem (and Solution) in 140 Characters or Fewer
- This $2 Trillion Bank Is Cutting Out Coal
- When Will Bank of America Get the Hint? Taking Advantage of Customers Isn't Good for Business
- Bank of America Finally Admits It Should Have Listened to Shareholders Last Year
- Bank of America Tops the List of the Most Hated Companies in Banking