Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 1 Business at Bank of America Corp. Continues to Deliver Impressive Results
- Intel Corporation Is the Dow's Best Stock for 2014, but It Will Disappoint You Next Year
- I?m Buying More Bank of America Corp Warrants
- Can Ally Financial Pull Off an AIG-Style Turnaround?
- Who Makes the Most Money From Housing: Wells Fargo, JPMorgan, or Bank of America Corp?