Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Bank of America and Dollar-Cost Averaging: How You Can Still Make Money When Stocks Crash
- Why Are Bank of America's Shares Almost Twice as Volatile as a Typical Stock?
- 4 Best Bank Stocks to Buy During a Correction
- What the Upcoming Vote at Bank of America Is (and Isn't) About
- When Will Bank of America Raise Its Dividend Next?