Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Retiring Soon? Don't Cash Out of the Stock Market Yet
- 5 Secrets to Increasing the Profit of Your Rental
- Can This Advertising Innovation at "The New York Times" Save Sinking Ad Revenue?
- Retirement Planning: Why Just About Everyone Should Have 3 Income Streams
- Tibco Software, Inc. Stock Falls On Disappointing Results
- Activision?s ?Destiny? and the Business of Video Game Hype