Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- UBPR: Using Bank Reports to Find Great Bank Stocks
- Should You Follow Goldman Sachs Advice on Oil Stocks?
- Why Mortgage Pre-Approvals Matter for Buyers and Sellers
- MLP Basics: A Simple Way to Understand Master Limited Partnerships
- Facebook: A Prosocial or Antisocial Stock?
- Meet the CEO Who Believes it's Impossible to Predict 3D Printing's Growth Potential