Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What You Need to Know About Credit Card Rates
- Here's Why General Electric Company Is Putting Billions into Aviation
- 4 Banking Terms Every First-Time Homebuyer Should Know
- Is Amazon.com Inc. Spreading Itself Too Thin?
- Why Unemployment Rates in These 5 States Could Soar Next Year
- The Company Behind the World's Best Solar Panel