Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- T-Mobile Offers Sprint Users $200 To Switch
- Where Will Peabody Energy Be in 10 Years?
- Wendy's Co. Was Smart for Selling This Chain
- 1 Potential Positive for Apple Inc.?s iPad Business
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday: All Hype or a Key Weekend for Retailers?
- Billionaires Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk Clash in Reusable Rocket Race