Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Monster Worldwide Shares Popped Thursday
- 3 Takeaways From Williams Companies, Inc.?s Earnings
- Chart Industries Earnings Beat Expectations in a Tough Environment
- Here's Why Brian Moynihan Is the Right CEO for Bank of America Right Now
- Why Pegasystems Inc. Stock Soared Today
- PotashCorp Climbs on Record Offshore Shipments Despite Earnings Headwinds