Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 4 Reasons You Should Watch This Under-the-Radar Stock on Your Watchlist
- McDonald's Corporation Earnings: Will the Golden Arches Ever Grow Again?
- Travelers Companies Inc Earnings: Are Storm Clouds Looming?
- What to Think of Coke's Latest Trends
- Wells Fargo and TD Bank Can Save Your Portfolio in the Coming Correction
- Breaking Down Arcam AB's Q1 Earnings -- FastEBM and New Orders