Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Proof That Apple, Inc. Is Investing in Innovation
- This New Alliance Is Threatening NASCAR?s Business Dictatorship
- Coca-Cola, SeaWorld, and Starbucks: 3 Companies on The Move
- Altria's Q2 Results Illustrate Company's Long-Term Value
- Visa Sinks the Dow Jones
- Underpants, Ground Beef, and Car Dealerships: A History of Leucadia National