Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- T-Mobile's Latest Un-Carrier Push: Rollover Data
- Now Is the Right Time to Buy Google Stock: Here Is Why
- Have You Heard the One About the $72 Million High School Stock Picker?
- Why Kinder Morgan Inc. Still Loves its Oil Business
- 3 Best Turnaround Stories of 2014
- Will Staples and Office Depot Finally Merge?