Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- MasTec Inc.'s Third-Quarter Earnings Show Expected Progress and Promise a Better 2015
- Why I Still Own Staples Stock
- Colony Financial Inc.: Is It Time to Buy This Dividend Stock?
- 3 Huge Risks Facing Amazon
- 3 Growth Stocks Hitting 52-Week Lows
- Why Stratasys Ltd. Stock Plummeted 7% Today -- and Then Mostly Recovered