Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 1 More Reason Apple Inc. Shouldn?t Ditch Intel Corporation in the MacBook
- For Amazon Investors, Ignorance Is Bliss
- These Stocks Pay Big Yields With Barely More Risk Than Bonds
- Twitter Inc Hopes This New Feature Will Get You to Log In
- Why We're Not Excited About These 4 High-Growth Stocks
- The Wildest and Wooliest IPO in Recent Memory