Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Toyota's Latest Move Toward Self-Driving Cars
- The Cloud Banks Another Billion for International Business Machines Corp.
- Currencies: The U.S. Trade Deficit Expands While We Wait on the Fed
- Would an Ebola Vaccine Move Regeneron Pharmaceuticals' Bottom Line?
- Do These 3 Dow Summer Survivors Belong in Your Portfolio?
- Twitter Tries to Fit a Square CEO Into a Round Hole