Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 1 Key Reason Sony's PlayStation Vue Could Threaten Apple's TV Ambitions
- Why I Own Las Vegas Sands Stock Instead of Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts
- Why Shares of Dynegy Inc. Jumped 10% Today
- GoDaddy's IPO: It's Go Time!
- Accenture Plc Reports Earnings. Cue Wild Applause
- Why Shares of Halcon Resources Corp Plunged 10% Today