Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Wisdom from Warren Buffett?s Golden Anniversary Letter
- Low Oil Prices: You'd Be Surprised Which 2 Companies Are Looking to Clean Up
- The Truth About Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc: More Calories Than McDonald's Corporation?
- Will Samsung Pay Be an Apple Pay Killer?
- Should Apple Be Worried About the "Flip Phone Revival" in This Key Market?
- The Reality of A.I. and Its Future