Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- No Warp Drive for NASA: But Here's the Next-Best Thing
- First Look at Huntington-Ingalls? New Proteus Underwater Vehicle
- PepsiCo Steals the NBA From Coca-Cola: What Investors Need to Know Now
- 3 Worrisome Obamacare Trends That Could Put Its Long-Term Success in Jeopardy
- Higher Oil Prices on the Horizon After Saudi Arabia Flexes Its Muscles
- This Is Still the Worst Major Airline for Customer Service