Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Was Williams Companies Right to Reject a $53 Billion Buyout Offer?
- The Reason Behind Sarepta Therapeutics Inc.'s Sinking Stock Price
- How Much Exposure Does Bank of America Have to Greece?
- Here?s Why Penn Virginia Corporation?s Stock is Reversing Course Today
- Types of Loans: Mix and Match
- Innovation and Industries: Space Travel