Average cost is one of three methods to determine the cost basis of the mutual fund shares you sell. Under this method, you determine the average price of all of your shares, including those purchased with reinvested dividends and capital gains. That price becomes your cost basis.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Sky Is Falling
- Why Intel?s Data Center Group Could Have a Banner Year in 2017
- Shares of BP Prudhoe Bay Trust Couldn't Stop Their Long Decline in August
- Bank of America and Dollar-Cost Averaging: How You Can Still Make Money When Stocks Crash
- Is the Market Crash Just Beginning?
- 5 Things Reynolds American Management Wants You to Know