The appraisal is carried out by a professional appraiser, usually one experienced in valuing real estate in the area. He uses comparisons, sometimes called comps as the basis for the estimate. The comps give him recent purchase prices of similar properties in the area. He then applies standard adjustments for differences like square footage, number of bathrooms, etc., to arrive at an official appraised value.
The appraised value can be a critical factor in determining how much can be borrowed on a property. If the sales price is far higher than the appraised value, the mortgage loan may not be approved.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is InterOil a Bargain After Its Recent Fall?
- Here's What You Need to Know About the Libra Oil Field
- How a Real Estate Appraisal Can Trick You Into Thinking You're Rich
- Is Art the Answer for Detroit's Bankruptcy?
- Everything You Know About Your Home's Value Is Wrong
- SandRidge Energy Is Stacked With Potential