The appraisal is carried out by a professional appraiser, usually one experienced in valuing real estate in the area. He uses comparisons, sometimes called comps as the basis for the estimate. The comps give him recent purchase prices of similar properties in the area. He then applies standard adjustments for differences like square footage, number of bathrooms, etc., to arrive at an official appraised value.
The appraised value can be a critical factor in determining how much can be borrowed on a property. If the sales price is far higher than the appraised value, the mortgage loan may not be approved.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 4 Obstacles That Keep Millennials From Buying Their First Homes
- 6 Steps to Restart the Refinancing Process
- The First-Time Homebuyer's Guide to Getting a Loan
- 3 Reasons Why Pioneer Natural Resources Stock Could Rise
- 3 Important Things to Consider When Buying a Home
- Why More Real Estate Deals Don?t Fall Into Your Lap