Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- This Analyst Believes Apple, Inc. Will Crush Earnings on the Back of Booming iPhone 6 Sales
- Should Nokia Corporation Launch New Smartphones?
- Is Apple Watch Already the Most Popular Smartwatch Ever?
- 5 Reasons Why You Will Pay $10 a Month for YouTube
- Could Nokia's Smartphones Compete With Apple or Samsung?
- 3 Surprises From Microsoft's Windows 10 for Phone