Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 4 Dates for Savvy Investors to Circle in April
- Did Monsanto Inc. Waste $1 Billion on This Acquisition?
- 3 Ways Microsoft Corporation Could Hurt Google Inc.
- 3 Reasons Google Inc. Should Fear Facebook Inc.
- Will This Startup "Put a Bullet" in Google Inc.'s Head?
- Would This Move From Amazon.com Get You to Buy a Fire Phone or Kindle Fire?