Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Nokia Investors Need to Adjust Their Expectations
- Why Your Mobile Phone Bill Is Coming Down
- As Google Rapidly Embraces the "Internet of Things" Should Apple Investors Worry?
- 3 Companies Set to Benefit From Autonomous Technology
- Could Verizon?s Dividend Double?
- Why Himax Technologies, Inc. Shares Soared Today