Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Microsoft Corporation?s First Quarter Earnings: The 3 Key Takeaways
- Why Would Intel Corporation Not Want to Sell More Than 40 Million Tablet Chips?
- Touch ID Hits iPad, How You Can Invest in the Booming Fingerprint Sensor Market
- Touch ID Is in the New Apple iPad: How You Can Invest in the Booming Fingerprint Sensor Market
- Will the Nexus Player Help Google Take Over Your Television?
- Apple's Plan for iPad Borrows From Samsung's Playbook