Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 of Facebook Inc.'s Biggest Risks for Investors
- Is Apple About to Defy Steve Jobs With the ?iPad Pro??
- Does Google's Wireless Move Pave the Way for a Sprint/T-Mobile Merger?
- 2 Things Microsoft Wants Investors to Know About the New Office
- 3 Things Starbucks Corporation Wants Investors To Know About The Future
- 2 Metrics to Watch When Apple, Inc. Reports Earnings Today