Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What the $33 Mozilla Firefox Phone Means for Emerging Markets
- BlackBerry Passport and the Looming Windows Phone Threat
- Why Google Wants to Map Your Body With Its Baseline Study
- Samsung and LG Just Upped the Ante in the Smartwatch War
- 1 Simple Reason for Facebook's Ridiculously Expensive Acquisitions
- This $20 Device Is Making the Internet of Things Possible