Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sony's Latest Blunder: Challenging Microsoft's Surface Pro and Apple Inc's iPad Air
- Microsoft's Global Mobile Strategy Sticks WIth Low-End Phones
- Google Finally Has a Solution to Its Mobile Ad Problem
- Intel Outs Cherry Trail as Atom x5 and Atom x7: Here?s What You Need to Know
- 3 Reasons International Business Machines Corp. Stock Could Rise
- Does Sling TV Need Apple and Sony to Succeed?