Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will LG or Huawei Make the Next Nexus Phone? Maybe Both
- Will BlackBerry Ltd Ever Give Up on Hardware?
- Google Inc's New Twitter Feature Is a Win-Win
- Microsoft Corporation's Surface Pro 4 vs Apple Inc.'s iPad Air 3: What Investors Should Expect
- Should Investors Be Worried About ?Slowing? Apple Watch Sales?
- 3 Reasons Microsoft Corp. Should Buy BlackBerry Ltd.