Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Offers A La Carte TV Channels Ahead of Apple TV Service
- 3 Reasons Why I Own Google Inc Stock
- Microsoft Corporation vs. Google Inc: Let The Android Wars Begin!
- What Samsung Electronics Ltd.'s New Tizen Smartphones Mean For Google Inc.
- Why BlackBerry Stock Fell 14% in June
- Kantar Worldpanel Brings Mixed News for Google?s Android and Apple?s iOS