Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Office for iPad Could Actually Hurt Microsoft and Google
- Google Needs More Than Search to Make Android TV a Winner
- Will NVIDIA Corporation's Tegra K1 Appear in Mobile Devices Soon?
- Is Amazon.com, Inc. Just Growing for Growth's Sake?
- Intel Corporation?s Bay Trail Is Still Missing in Action on Android
- Why Twitter Inc Swallowed Gnip