Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What Google's Android One Phones Mean for Emerging Market Competition
- Will Google Chromebook Get a Boost from Nvidia's Powerful Mobile Chip?
- Why the PS Vita Will Be Sony's Last Handheld
- T-Mobile US, Inc. and Uncarrier 7.0: Are AT&T and Verizon Running Scared?
- Could the Apple Watch Devastate Garmin's Wearables?
- Meet GoPro's Newest Enemy: HTC