Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Tech Stocks Weekly: Facebook Inc., Twitter Inc. and The News You Need to Know
- Microsoft Just Launched a Huge Attack Against Google and Dropbox
- Peter Thiel Exclusive: Apple Pay Could Struggle With Adoption
- Cirrus Logic, Inc. Turns In Strong Results
- 3 Growth Stocks Hitting 52-Week Lows
- Why Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Sales Soared as Apple's iPad Sales Plunged