Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How Microsoft Corporation's Hardware Strategy Combines The Best of Apple and Google
- Why Synaptics Inc. Soared 18% in September
- Apple Inc. Will Likely Move to Higher-Resolution Displays With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Facebook Inc Loses Its "Safe Harbor" in Europe
- Can Microsoft Succeed Where Motorola Failed?
- Why Do Apple Inc. and Qualcomm Inc. Reportedly Have an ?Uneasy? Relationship?