Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Facebook Inc. Just Helped Google Improve Its Mobile Search Results
- Should You Own Steven Cohen's 3 Favorite Stocks?
- Apple Music Comes to Alphabet's Android
- After Using Android for 5 Years, I've Finally Switched to iPhone
- Not Many People Downloaded One of Facebook's Latest Apps, but It Was Still a Huge Success
- Will Fitbit Inc's Latest Update Keep It Ahead Of Its Wearable Rivals?