Android is an open-source software platform developed by a consortium of companies led by Google. Companies use the platform to build mobile phones and other devices.
Mobile phones built on the Android operating system compete against each other and also against phones built by Apple, which uses its own closed-source platform.
Related Fool Articles
Related Fool Discussion Boards
Post your questions on Motley Fool's "board name" board.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Another Major Qualcomm Chip Customer May Be Going In-House
- Should Sony Corporation and Nvidia Corporation Believe in Cloud Gaming?
- This Smartphone Maker Used to Dominate Android -- Now It's on the Verge of Collapse
- Will Samsung's Gear S2 Topple Apple Watch?
- Apple Inc. A9 Performance Tests Finally Leak
- New iPhone Launch: Big Choices Ahead for Apple, Inc.