Adam Smith (1723-1790) is the Scottish-born "father of economics."
Smith deals with the free market system and the resulting system of goods, services and prices. His magnum opus was The Wealth of Nations, wherein is found Smith's theory of the invisible hand that guides individuals working in their own interest to improve society as a whole, even though that is not their intention.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Industrials Stocks We Love to Hate
- The Real Winner in a Staples-Office Depot Merger Isn't You
- 2 Ways Crashing Oil Prices Could Trigger the Next Global Financial Panic
- How to Win the Lottery -- a Different Way of Looking At It
- The Boeing 747 Jumbo-Jet Isn't Dead Just Yet
- 2 Ways Plunging Oil Prices Could Threaten the U.S. Economy