Adam Smith (1723-1790) is the Scottish-born "father of economics."
Smith deals with the free market system and the resulting system of goods, services and prices. His magnum opus was The Wealth of Nations, wherein is found Smith's theory of the invisible hand that guides individuals working in their own interest to improve society as a whole, even though that is not their intention.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Recent Oil and Gas Discoveries You Probably Missed
- 2 Department Store Giants Looking Extremely Cheap Before Earnings
- What Do Alien Abductions and Cats Have in Common?
- The "Moment" of Truth for Twitter Inc.'s Project Lightning
- 3 Ways to Take Advantage of America's Aging Electric Infrastructure
- 4 Oil Trends to Be on the Lookout For in 2016