A white knight is a friendly investor who comes to the rescue of a distressed business often in response to a hostile takeover offer.
Warren Buffett is perhaps the most famous practitioner of the white knight bid alive today. An example of one of his white knight style bids would be his recent bid on Constellation Energy. During the week of September 18th 2008, Constellation's stock fell 39% in a single day followed by a 19% down day on concerns that they would not be able to raise capital. Buffett then swooped in with a bid that was ultimately accepted about a 10% premium.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Bill Ackman vs. Allergan, Inc.: Who Will Win the War of Words?
- Can Virgin Galactic Recover From SpaceShipTwo Tragedy?
- American Apparel Adds a Second Woman To Its Board, Will It Matter?
- Does This Number Mean Bad News for These 3 Stocks?
- Could a Black Panther Movie Pay Off for Disney-Marvel?
- Welcome to the New Silicon Valley