A white knight is a friendly investor who comes to the rescue of a distressed business often in response to a hostile takeover offer.
Warren Buffett is perhaps the most famous practitioner of the white knight bid alive today. An example of one of his white knight style bids would be his recent bid on Constellation Energy. During the week of September 18th 2008, Constellation's stock fell 39% in a single day followed by a 19% down day on concerns that they would not be able to raise capital. Buffett then swooped in with a bid that was ultimately accepted about a 10% premium.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Galena Biopharma vs. Peregrine Pharmaceuticals: Which is the Better Buy?
- Will ?Sin City: A Dame to Kill For? Be Worth the Wait?
- Can Spider-Man Save Sony Pictures?
- ?Fable Anniversary? and ?Fable Legends? -- The Unhappy Fable Continues...
- Shorts Are Piling Into These Stocks. Should You Be Worried?
- Why I'm Steering Clear of Diamond Foods