The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Stocks Near 52-Week Highs That You Can Still Buy
- Frontline Stock Skyrocketed in July -- Here's Why
- SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. Has a Lot to Prove on Aug. 6
- TransDigm Group Boosts Guidance as Earnings Keep Growing
- After a Crazy Week, What's Next for Republic Airways Holdings, Inc.?
- Big Earnings, Big Cuts, and Big Solar