The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Stocks I Would Avoid At All Costs
- 3 Pros and Cons of Raising the Federal Minimum Wage: Where Do You Stand?
- 5 Reasons Why McDonald's Will Win in 2015
- This Next-Generation Biotech Just Set the Stage for a Big 2015
- Biotech Head-to-Head: Gilead vs. Celgene
- Better Restaurant Stock Buy: McDonald?s Corporation or Panera Bread Co??