The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Shares of Bridgepoint Education Inc. Tumbled
- Why Shares of the Bon-Ton Stores Inc. Dropped
- What Would Lifting the Crude Oil Export Ban Mean for Producers?
- Job Market Grows 175K, Skullcandy Signals Turnaround, and S&P 500 Reaches All-Time High
- This Week in Sirius XM Radio
- Today's Jobs Numbers Are Good Enough for the Dow, but not Great for the Economy