The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Most Expensive 30 Seconds on TV -- Cost of a Super Bowl Ad Keeps Going Up
- 5 Things Citrix Systems, Inc. Management Wants You to Know
- Why Oil Prices May Not Recover Anytime Soon
- 5 Big Takeaways From General Electric Company's Earnings
- Will 2015 Be A Tough Year for Best Buy?
- 3 Things to Watch When Procter & Gamble Co. Reports Earnings Next Week