The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is This Really a Sign of Good Times for HP?
- Dow Begins to Recover as Investors Chew on Economic Data
- J.C. Penney Still Has a Lot to Prove
- Will Mattress Firm Smash Earnings or Experience a Hard Landing?
- Who?s to Blame for Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?
- Economic Confidence Improves in November, Led by Democrats and Higher-Income Americans