The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- After a Crazy Week, What's Next for Republic Airways Holdings, Inc.?
- Big Earnings, Big Cuts, and Big Solar
- Chevron's Earnings Get Clobbered This Quarter; Here's What You Need to Know
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. Beats The Street in the Second Quarter: What's Next?
- ExxonMobil Earnings: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
- Tesla Motors, Inc. Earnings: 2 Under-The-Radar Metrics