The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things iRobot Corporation's Management Wants You to Know
- 5 Things Sirius XM Holdings Inc. Wants You to Know
- Is It Time to Buy AeroVironment Stock?
- Target Earnings: Profit Dives 62% on Struggles in Canada and the U.S.
- 3 Reasons BHP Billiton Ltd Stock Could Fall
- 3 Reasons Yum! Brands Inc. Stock Could Rise