The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Americans Will Throw Away 25% More Trash Over the Holidays -- and These Companies Are Happy to Clean
- Why Halcon Resources Corp. Surged 16% on Wednesday
- Why Emerge Energy Services LP (EMES) Popped 13% Today
- McDonald's in Panic Mode: Accelerates Rollout of Build-Your-Own-Burger Menu
- 3D Systems Corporation (DDD) Is Burning Through Cash. Should Investors Worry?
- Should Celgene Corporation Pay a Dividend?