The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What to Watch in the Stock Market This Week
- 5 Things Target Corporation's Management Wants You to Know
- One Year Later and OPEC Still Hasn't Killed Shale
- 3 Ways Starbucks Plans to Dominate the 2015 Holiday Season
- 3 Obamacare Concerns for the Healthcare Industry
- Stocks Billionaires Are Bailing Out Of -- Should You, Too?