The term is significant in the uptick rule which required an uptick before a short sale. This rule impeded short selling in a sharply declining market. The rule is no longer in place. Some believe that elimination of the uptick rule is a factor in the increased volatility of the stock market.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Should Gilead Sciences, Inc. Pay a Dividend?
- Angry Orchard Hard Cider Will Toast Black Wednesday's Boost
- 10 Million Reasons Why Activision Blizzard's "Warlords of Draenor" is a Success
- Wall Street Still Struggling to Come to Grips with Apple iPhone Demand
- 5 Huge Companies That Are Still Posting Double-Digit Growth
- Geospace Technologies Earnings Fall Victim to Big Oil's Spending Habits