Unrelated Business Taxable Income
Unrelated Business Taxable Income, or UBTI, is income earned by a tax-exempt entity through non tax-exempt means.
UBTI is often generated by Master Limited Partnerships, or MLPs. Part of an MLP's distribution can be classified as UBTI and could therefore be subject to taxation if in excess of $1000 per year [not to be construed as tax advice, please consult your tax advisor].
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How MLPs Work: A Beginning Guide for Dividend Investors
- MLPs: 3 Tax Facts All Dividend Investors Need to Know
- MLPs: 3 Reasons Dividend Investors Should Love Them
- Don't Make This MLP Mistake
- Why Kinder Morgan Management May Be Better for Your IRA Than Kinder Morgan Energy Partners
- Do REITs Belong in a Retirement Portfolio?