Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Expert Advice for Students Filing Taxes for the First Time
- Alcoa Inc Earnings Make the Case for Improving Fundamentals
- Why You Should Be Terrified of the Heartbleed Bug -- And What You Can Do About It
- 3 Stocks Near 52-Week Highs Worth Selling
- Merck Launches Hail Mary Lung Cancer Trial
- A New Record for American Workers! Employment Totals Surpass the Pre-Crash Peak