Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Most Important Investing Lesson for Teens
- What a Rising Apple Inc. Dividend Could Mean for Investors
- Worried About a Tax Audit? Avoid These 5 Mistakes
- MannKind Corporation on Track for Afrezza Launch
- Hain Celestial Group Inc. Earnings Preview: 3 Things To Watch For
- 9 Credit Report Myths You Need to Know