Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Using the Internet of Things and Cloud Connectivity to Build a Smarter Hospital
- Caesarstone, Home Depot, and Trex: 3 Housing Companies for Your Watchlist
- 3 Biotech Companies That Could Be the Next Intercept or InterMune
- The Financial Media's Attacks are Refuted Once Again
- The Best Way to Learn As an Investor
- Where?s My Refund? Tips for Frustrated Filers -- and Investors