Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Changes to Credit Scoring and Reporting You Need to Know About
- Is the Apple Watch Already Crushing the Competition?
- What Should I Do If My Credit Card Application Is Rejected?
- Your Greatest Investing Advantage
- Tesla Motors, Inc. Stock This Week: The 70D and 2015 Model S Reviews
- 3 Pieces of Advice for Beginning Investors