Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is Now the Right Time to Buy Nike Inc Stock?
- Patience Please! Give United Continental CEO Oscar Munoz Some Time
- Getting Audited? 5 Things You Should Know
- For NVIDIA, Strong Q2 Growth Puts Tablet Recall In Perspective
- Tesla Motors, Inc. Stock Slips on Lowered Guidance
- Preorders for New Tesla Could Begin Any Day Now