Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Apple Buys Topsy, Makes Play For Twitter?s Firehose of Data
- What Does the New York Train Derailment Mean for MTA?
- Beware If You?re Flying One of These Airlines Thanksgiving Weekend
- 'The Day of The Doctor', 'Catching Fire' Prove Sci-Fi Is No Longer Niche
- Taseko Skewers Review Panel's Errors
- Being Lazy Could Boost Your Returns