Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Fiat Chrysler Needs the 2016 Alfa Romeo Giulia to Be A Runaway Success
- Why This Small Cap Biotech Stock Is Becoming One of My Favorites
- Is Obamacare Good or Bad? It's All a Matter of Perspective
- Stocks to Watch: Diversified REITs
- 10 Outrageous Ways the Government Spends Your Tax Dollars
- This Obamacare Figure Turned Positive for the First Time in 29 Months