Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Remember How Obamacare Hit Its Enrollment Target Last Year? Yeah... Not Quite
- Will UnitedHealth Group's Dividend Be Safe?
- Solar is Disrupting the $2 Trillion Energy Industry: This CEO Tells You How
- Why I Bought General Motors Stock
- How Low Can Oil Prices Go?
- The Surprising Way You Can Be a Better Shopper