Tracking error indicates how much your investment's performance deviated from the benchmark it was tracking.
Simple investing vehicles such as an index fund or exchange-traded fund are devised to track benchmarks, i.e., earn the same percentage return. If your benchmark-tracking investment has a big tracking error, you want to know why.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Preorders for New Tesla Could Begin Any Day Now
- Good Enough
- 3 Key Takeaways From Peregrine Pharmaceuticals' Fourth-Quarter Results
- Baby Boomers May Be in More Financial Trouble Than Previously Believed
- Fiat Chrysler Needs the 2016 Alfa Romeo Giulia to Be A Runaway Success
- Why This Small Cap Biotech Stock Is Becoming One of My Favorites