A title company is a firm that specializes in researching records of a property in the recorder's office in your county courthouse. In the case of a real estate transaction, after a sales contract is signed and before the close, the title company brings the title up to date and checks to see that there are no outstanding liens or other claims against the property.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- You're Not Going to Believe How Amazon Is Going to Speed Up Delivery
- Congrats, Net Neutrality Advocates; You?ve Substantively Changed Nothing
- A Serial Entrepreneur's Take On Tech, 'Power to the People' and Start-Up Valuations
- YouTube Isn?t Profitable: What is Google Inc. to Do?
- Oil Prices: First One to $0 Wins?
- American Public Education Inc. Crushes Expectations; Should Investors Rejoice?