A title company is a firm that specializes in researching records of a property in the recorder's office in your county courthouse. In the case of a real estate transaction, after a sales contract is signed and before the close, the title company brings the title up to date and checks to see that there are no outstanding liens or other claims against the property.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Susan Wojcicki: From Google Doodles to YouTube CEO
- A $1 Billion Bet on Cancer Cures
- Apple, Inc. Design Guru's Promotion: Good or Bad?
- Would Classic Titles Like "Thomas Covenant" Work on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
- E3 2015: What Electronic Arts Inc. Wants You to Know
- When Will Netflix, Inc. Enter India? (Hint: Don't Hold Your Breath)