In investing, technology is considered a sector, often covered by sector funds. It is heavily dominated by computer companies and related suppliers of information technology, but some include biotechnology in the sector. Others note that new technology is fundamental to many businesses and includes fields like renewable energy, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, plastics, fiber optics, ceramics, nanotechnology, etc. The dictionary definition is quite broad compared to the customary usage of the term in the investment community.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How United Airlines Just Made It a Lot Easier to Check Your Bags
- 3 Ways AT&T's DIRECTV Buyout Might Fail
- 3 Surprising Ways Intel Is Merging Technology With Healthcare
- Did Putin Just Harm His Fellow Russians By Banning Food Imports?
- Why Does Lockheed Martin Want to Put Exoskeletons on Workers?
- Are You Missing the Fuel Cell Revolution?