In investing, technology is considered a sector, often covered by sector funds. It is heavily dominated by computer companies and related suppliers of information technology, but some include biotechnology in the sector. Others note that new technology is fundamental to many businesses and includes fields like renewable energy, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, plastics, fiber optics, ceramics, nanotechnology, etc. The dictionary definition is quite broad compared to the customary usage of the term in the investment community.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Acer Kicks Intel Out of Its Smartphones for 2014
- This 1 Figure Could Keep the Stock Market From Reaching New Highs
- Why JPMorgan Chase, IBM, and UnitedHealth Group Were the Dow's Only Losers Last Week
- The All-New Chevrolet Cruze That Americans Can't Buy
- Poland?s Energy Fate Now Rests With Just Chevron and ConocoPhillips
- If This Is the Future of Coal, Will Anyone Else Want to Try It?