Teaser interest rate
Many have been attracted to mortgages they cannot afford once the ARM resets. Previously they could refinance at a lower interest rate using the equity accumulated in their property while housing prices were rising quickly. But declines in housing values have caused many to lose what little equity they had and sometimes to lose their homes in foreclosure.
Those who borrow with ARMs should be careful to fully understand the formula used to calculate the interest rate and the monthly payments required once the teaser rate expires.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What Is a Home Equity Loan, and When Is It Better Than a Mortgage?
- 5 Ways Rich People Use Credit
- At Long Last, Here Comes Amazon.com Inc.'s Magical Smartphone
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (USA) Earnings: Will Canadian Banking Stay Strong?
- The Government Wants to Know More About Your Mortgage
- Why Another Housing Bubble Isn?t Happening?Yet